view a plan
Students use the Internet here to research the history of the Thanksgiving holiday
Title – History of Thanksgiving
By – Anita Claudette Roberts
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects – Computers / Internet, Language Arts, Other
Grade Level – 6
Students use the Internet to research the history of the Thanksgiving holiday.
Targeted South Carolina Content Standards:
- Communication and Collaboration
- Research and Information Fluency
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Decision Making
Student Objectives/Learning Goals:
Problem solving and informational sharing using sites such as Scholastic, Google and LessonPlansPage.com.
- The class views a video on the history of Thanksgiving (check your media center or the LessonPlansPage Recommended Thanksgiving Videos List).
- Each student is then assigned into a group.
- Each group is responsible for looking on the Internet to find out about the history of the Thanksgiving holiday. The groups take the information that was learned via the video and add what they have found via the resources.
- The groups also answer how their own family Thanksgiving traditions are similar or different to those in the first Thanksgiving feast.
- Each group then presents their findings to the rest of the class.
- Two days to view video and finish research
- One day to make presentations to the class.
Material and Resources Required:
- video to be watched on the Smartboard along with question list.
- printed list of group questions
- pencils, computers, and paper
- research sites such as Scholastic and Google
- videos and resources recommended on the LessonPlansPage.com Thanksgiving page
- Video clip
- Internet site activity
Students are graded on group assignment and participation.
E-Mail Claudette Roberts !