view a plan
This web hunt shows students why and how we celebrate Independence Day
2, 3, 4
Title – Independence Day Web Hunt
By – Jeanne Bailey
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects –
Grade Level – 2-4
This is a lesson plan to show students how and why we celebrate Independence Day.
Materials Needed: a copy of the following web hunt for each student and a copy of the Food Guide Pyramid.
- The student will learn the history of Independence Day. The student will learn how different people celebrate Independence Day in the United States.
- The student will use complete sentences to associate the lesson with his or her own real life experiences with Independence Day celebrations. The student will demonstrate understanding of the Food Guide Pyramid.
1. When is Independence Day celebrated in the United States? ____________________________
2. Who was the head of the committee that wrote the Declaration of Independence and has his picture on the face of a nickel? ________________________
3. The Declaration of Independence broke the ties between the colonies and what country?
4. In what year was Independence Day declared a legal holiday? ______________
5. What is the name of the song played by marching bands on the Fourth of July which was written by John Philip Sousa? ________________________________
6. Many communities celebrate the Fourth of July at night with a _____________________ display.
7. Name one important U.S. project which was begun on Independence Day. ________________________________
Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_of_July to find the answers to the following two questions.
8. Fireworks have been associated with the Fourth of July since what year? __________
9. _______________________________in Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York City, was supposedly started on July 4, 1916 as a way to settle a dispute among four immigrants as to who was the most patriotic.
10. How do you and your family celebrate the Fourth of July? (Use complete sentences.)
11. What would you put in your picnic basket for a balanced meal for the Fourth of July? (Remember to use your Pyramid Guide for help with this.)
E-Mail Jeanne Bailey !