view a plan
This unit idea for Black History Month unit idea is based on the novel “The Watsons Go To Birmingham”
Language Arts, Social Studies
By – Kathi-Lynn Johnson
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts
Grade Level – 6th grade
Novel: The Watsons Go To Birmingham
- by Christopher Paul Curtis
Procedure: My students love this novel! We read it orally and then discuss it. I even play some of the songs that are mentioned in the novel. You can make up your own questions or order them from the publisher. Here are some other ideas you might like to try:
- Act out some of the scenes in the book.
- Make a character tree – explain how each character feels about the other.
- Research the Jim Crow laws of the south. How do they figure into the story?
- Research the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham. How does this relate to the novel?
- Research Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960′s.
E-Mail Kathi-Lynn Johnson !