view a plan
In this project, students research, write, and use media to support a local environmental issue
Art, Language Arts, Social Studies
3, 4, 5
Title – “Save the ________”
By – Jack West
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts, Art
Grade Level – 3-5
Note: this lesson is written for Florida, but could be adapted to your state or region. Objectives:
- 1. TLW (the learner will) study the wildlife that is natural to Southwest Florida. (Science)
- 2. TLW research a plant, animal, or area of SW Florida that needs protected. (Social Studies, Technology)
- 3. TLW write an expository or persuasive essay on the importance of their topic. (Language Arts)
- 4. TLW make posters and flyers promoting their cause. (Art, Technology)
- 5. TLW be responsible for presenting their cause to the class in the form of a commercial. They must include technology. Power Point, photos, videos, audio, etc. (Technology, Oral Skills)
- 1. After reading a chapter in the text about Florida’s wildlife, the students will take a quiz from the shared drive of the classroom computers.
- 2. The students will each decide on a cause that is important to Florida’s environment.
- 3. They will then write an expository essay explaining why it is important to protect the animal, plant, or area of SW Florida.
- 4. The students will then be grouped together to work cooperatively with students who have picked the same cause.
- 5. The students will design a logo, create posters and fliers to get their point across to the rest of the school.
- 6. The students will then create an advertising campaign for the cause.
- 7. Each group of students will make a commercial using Power Point, video, or audio tape for the cause.
- a. The commercial should include facts about the cause. These facts are to be referenced as to where they were found.
- b. The commercial will reflect some from everybody’s expository paper done earlier in the project.
Sunshine State Standards
- Social Studies:
- Computers, markers, paper, video camera, presentation center, Power Point
E-Mail Jack West !