view a plan
This multidisciplinary lesson has students discover the geography and cultural history of an area while creating a travel journal on a budget
Computers & Internet, Language Arts, Social Studies
9, 10, 11, 12
Title – Traveling Adventure
By – Jessica McKee-Parks
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts, Computers / Internet
Grade Level – 9-12
Duration: 1-2 weeks
Purpose: Students create a journal for a virtual journey, teaching standards and building writing skills.
- 1. Students will be able to locate cities, towns, and historical sites within California.
- 2. They will learn about the Native American cultures that live in California.
- 3. Students will be learning about budgeting and expenses.
- Maps of California
- Notebooks for each student
- Travel guides and magazines
- 1. Students have a discussion about places they have visited or would like to visit in California. They are asked to brainstorm these on paper.
- 2. Teacher sets budget and length of hypothetical journey for students. Hands out written assignment guidelines to students. This should include guidelines of places they need to visit (i.e. missions, fault lines, specific areas of California)
- 3.Students must then write daily logs of their trip, how far they traveled, where they stayed, how much money they spent, and where they visited. If the class has access to magazines, students could paste them into their journals.
Assessment Strategies: Students will be assessed on their writing format and the inclusion of guidelines set in the beginning.
Extensions: If school has access to internet, they can use the Traveler’s Graphic Journal
E-Mail Jessica McKee-Parks !