view a plan
Karma Tycoon Video Game Study Guide Unit – Pre-Game Lesson Plan 2
Language Arts, Math, Social Studies
7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Title – Karma Tycoon Video Game Study Guide Unit
Pre-Game Lesson Plan 2:
City and Nonprofit Learning Hunt
|Study Guide by|| Do Something
The JPMorgan Chase Foundation
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts, Math
Grade Level – 7-12
A STUDY GUIDE
9) Pre-Game Lesson Plan 2:
City and Nonprofit Learning Hunt
|TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- To access these unit chapters, click on their titles above.
LESSON PLAN 2
|City and Nonprofit Learning Hunt|
- This lesson focuses on researching cities and non-profits on the Internet. Students will learn facts about the eleven cities in the game Karma Tycoon to help them run their non-profit organizations.
- To develop a geographic and statistical understanding of the eleven cities in the game.
- To learn about types of non-profits and the civic issues they address in each community.
- Animal shelter, homeless shelter, mission statement, nonprofit, performing arts center, senior center, youth center
- Computer lab
- City and Nonprofit Learning Hunt Worksheet
- City and Types of Nonprofits Handout (See Lesson 1)
- Begin this lesson by asking students, “How many of you have ever been on a scavenger hunt? What was it like? What did you learn about?” Explain to students that they are going to go on an online scavenger hunt to learn about the eleven cities in the game Karma Tycoon.
Checking Prior Knowledge (10 min.)
- Have students login to their computers. Have students browse the Internet to locate websites that provide city demographic information such as
- Record a list of websites on the board for students to reference.
Quick Content Lesson: City Search (15-20 min.)
- Instruct students to work in groups of two on one computer.
- Assign each group a city to research. Pass out the City and Nonprofit Learning Hunt worksheets for students to complete. One student should navigate the website and the other should record the information on the worksheet.
Class Discussion: Nonprofits in Your City (10-15 min.)
- Pass out the City and Types of Nonprofits Handout. Have students pick a type of non-profit (homeless shelter, animal shelter, senior center, youth center, or performing arts center) and research it on the Internet in their city.
- After students have completed the nonprofit section of the worksheet, ask them to come together to present what they learned about their cities and nonprofits to the class.
- Collect the City and Nonprofit Learning Hunt Worksheet.
- Observe and record student participation
- Service Component: Have students volunteer at a local nonprofit organization for a day then write a personal response.
Name____________________________________ Date ______________________
INTERNET LEARNING HUNT
Look up your city on the Internet and find facts to help you run your non-profit organizations.
City _____________ is also known as __________________________________
The total population is ______________________________________________
The population of seniors (65 and over) is ____________________________
The median age is __________________________________________________
The median household income is ____________________________________
The average temperature or climate is ________________________________
The number of homeless people is ___________________________________
Sports teams include ________________________________________________
Type of non-profit
(homeless shelter, animal shelter, youth center, senior center, or performing arts center)
City and state _____________________________________________________
Name of nonprofit __________________________________________________
Website address ____________________________________________________
Mission statement __________________________________________________
Find teen grants, volunteer opportunities, clubs, causes and more at DoSomething.org.