view a plan
Here student “Sports Illustrated” reporters tour the U.S. and its National Parks following their team
Math, Social Studies, Language Arts, Computers & Internet, Art
Title – Oak View Football League
By – Scott Jamison
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects – Math, Art, Language Arts, Computers / Internet
Grade Level – 7th
|Welcome to the Oak View Football League. You are a reporter for “Sports Illustrated”. Your assignment is to travel with an N.F.L. team and complete a “weekly game information sheet” for each game. You will follow your team’s N.F.L. schedule. When your team has a home game, you will travel to a national park assigned to your conference, either N.F.C. or A.F.C. If you have a “bye” week, (no game) you will also travel to a national park. Upon arrival at the national park, you will research the questions in item #9. When you have a home game AND travel to a national park, you are required to write an article on the National Park. At the conclusion of the season, you will be required to turn in the following information:
Grading — 100 points total
- 50 pts: Weekly game sheets
- 15 pts: Map
- 15 pts: Final article
- 15 pts: Neatness & Organization
- 5 pts: Decorated folder
Weekly Game Information Format
- 1. Directions: Highways traveled from city to city (specific format to be used; must show inches converted to miles).
- 2. Total miles traveled: Write the scale used – miles traveled.
- 3. Absolute location: List the city and state you are traveling to, AND the coordinate (latitude/longitude) for the city.
- 4. Cost of trip: Use the following figures for this exercise: car gets 28 miles per gallon; gas cost is $2.25 per gallon (show your math).
- 5. Travel time: average speed – 65 m.p.h. (show your math).
- 6. States traveled through: List the states in the order that you travel through them. *Include the capital city for each state.
- 7. Game result: Score of game. List the winning team first.
- 8. Weekly article: Write a sports article about your game, or a National Park article, as required in instructions above.
- 8A. Sports Article: must include the teams, date and location of game played, score and weather report, (high & low temp., plus forecast). Include additional information as you wish. Be creative; do not simply restate the facts.
- 8B. National Park Article: include items A-E in topic #9 below
9. Park Information: (Name of Park)
- A. Relative location: (describe where the park is located within the state)
- B. Area of park: (square miles or acres)
- C. Year established:
- D Outstanding physical feature:
- E Interesting fact:
- 1. Label states: Use “2 letter” state abbreviation. Write in black ink! Use a black ink pen, not a felt marker
- 2. Locate and label ALL team and National Park cities
- A. N.F.L. team city — blue dot (If the N.F.L. city is also a state capital city, draw a red circle around the blue dot)
- B. National Park city — green dot Write the city name AND the national park name
3. Key: Use the information in #2
E-Mail Scott Jamison !