view a plan
This is a lesson plan on tornadoes and their location
Science, Social Studies
Title – Tornadoes
By – Mr. Johnson
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects – Science
Grade Level – 3rd
- 1. The students will know about natural disasters.
- 2. The students will learn what storms and tornadoes are.
- 3. The student will know what tornado alley is.
“ALCOS” The Alabama Course of Study:
- 1. Science 35. Recognize geographic weather patterns.
- 2. Science 36. Recognize effects of weather.
- 3. Social Studies 4. Describe the natural environment of North America.
- 1. Students: Crayons, And Construction Paper
- 2. Teacher: Bottle Tornadoes
- 1. Teacher asks: Do you know all the different types of storms? Which storm is the Worse?
- 2. The teacher will introduce the concept of tornadoes.
- 1. Tell the student that they are going to learn about tornadoes.
- 2. Ask the students if they have any personal stories about tornadoes.
- 3. Only let three students speak.
- 4. Give the students a formal definition of what a tornado is.
- 5. Tell the students that there are five categories of tornadoes.
- 6. Tell about each category.
- 7. Go over safety tips.
- 8. Review the different natural disasters close to home or other states.
- 9. Tell the students the region of tornado alley.
- 10. Let the students know that Alabama (your state) is (is/is not) in high risk for tornadoes.
- 11. Tell the season of tornadoes.
- 1. Bring out the water tornadoes and let the students see how a tornado is formed.
- 2. Give an existence review on tornadoes, and places where they usually hit.
- 1. Have the student to do and art project.
- 2. Have the students put at least 3 things they have learned on their art project.
- 3. Teacher Observation.
E-Mail Mr Johnson !