view a plan
This lesson on the 50 States involves students drawing the states
3, 4, 5
Title – State Construction and Cooperation
By – Jill M. Snyder
Subject – Social Studies
Grade Level – 3-5
Objective: At the end of this lesson the students will be able to draw the shape of one of the United States of America and discuss three specific facts about that state.
Materials: A map of the U.S.A., Fifty Nifty United States song, construction paper, markers, crayons, books about states, enlarged copies of each state, glue, scissors, pencils, internet, encyclopedias.
1. Play the song Fifty Nifty United States song for your class.
2. Give each student one state to research and find out information on.
3. Tell the students that they have to come up with at least three interesting facts about that state.
4. Give the students the enlarged copy of their state and tell them to decorate their state using interesting facts they have found out.
5. After each student has finished their state play the song again.
6. When their states name is in the song have them hold it up high.
7. Have each student present their artwork to the class with the interesting information they have found out about their state.
8. Once they have finished presenting, on a blank wall put up the map of the USA and construct it using the artwork.
The students will be able to recognize the name of their state assigned to them and find three interesting facts about it. They will also be able to recognize the shape of their state.
Have a license plate contest. Tell the students that they have to enter a contest to design a new license plate for their assigned state. Present the new contest winners to the class by having the students tell each other what they did.
Jill M. Snyder
E-Mail Jill M. Snyder !