view a plan
This is a lesson on the Union Parliament of India
Title – The Union Parliament of India
By – Ruchi Goyal
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Grade Level – 10
To make the students understand the Parliamentary system of India.
To make them understand the Legislature, the Executive and the Judiciary.
To make them understand the working of the Lok Sabha & the Rajya Sabha.
II. Materials for Learning Activities:
Map of India, photographs of some of the presidents, prime ministers, speakers etc., previous elections results etc.
III. Procedures for Learning Activities:
1. To test the previous knowledge of the students, teacher will show the students the map of India and ask them about the Parliamentary constituencies.
2. Then the teacher will show the pictures of the presidents, prime ministers and speakers and ask the students about their role in our functioning of the government.
3. Now the teacher will start the lesson with the explanation of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha – composition, qualifications, disqualifications, tenure, sessions, quorum etc.
4. Next class she will teach about the chair persons of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha – speaker and chairman, their powers and functions.
5. Above two topics can be taught in the class with the help of Mock Parliament. When students are directly involved in the Parliamentary procedures, their understanding will be better.
6. Now the teacher will teach the powers of the Union Parliament, relationship and difference between the two houses, various types of motions, legislative procedures, difference between the ordinary bill and money bill, amendment of the constitution etc.
7. This unit should take at least 20 teaching periods of 30 minutes each, as it is a lengthy and complicated chapter.
1. Students will be given blank mind maps. They will be divided in groups of four and with the help of group discussion, they will fill the blanks.
2. Every day they will be given five drill questions at the beginning of the class to be done in their notebooks.
3. Small objective type exercises will be given to assess them.
4. They will be assessed on the basis of their participation in the Mock Parliament.
1. To meet the needs of different student’s teacher is holding a Mock Parliament in the class as participation by the students themselves will make the understanding much better.
2. Teacher can invite a government official for guest lecture so that the students can ask more questions, information is more authentic and first hand.
With the help of an activity Mock Parliament the lesson becomes very interesting where students are playing the role of prime minister, speaker, council of ministers and opposition.